Saturday, May 24, 2008

In Memory of my MUM


In Loving Memory
Olwen Rosemary Werdschinki
1946 - 1998

Today is 10 years since my Mum passed away. She is in my thoughts every day. When she was going through her treatment for Leukemia she would say "When I get better and get home I am going to get a computer for home and hook it to the internet so we can email and chat" (Chatting on MSN was the big new thing back then.) So here is my cyber message to Mum.

"I love you Mum, I think of you everyday and wish that you were still here to share our highs and lows!! But don't worry, I can now make Porridge and Rice Pudding without having to call you for the quantities!! But my Oatcakes still don't come out like yours!!" (lol)

I am also going to share the poem Mum wrote for me when I was away in Perth at School. I was terribly homesick and a couple of days after a rather long, sobbing phone call home, a Survival Pack and this poem arrived. It is framed and hung on the wall next to a lovely picture of Mum. So here goes...

A Daughter

One day a little girl was born
Her Mum was Oh, so proud,
Two sons and a daughter
I was floating on a cloud.

My little girl with golden locks
was a cute and pretty child,
Most of the time angelic,
but boy, could she get wild!

Off to her room she would be sent
until she calmed her mood,
and then out she would come again
and be as little girls should.

The big day came, off to school
her baby days were gone,
All dressed in her uniform
how her dear face shone!

We had some fun, those early years
lots of fun and laughter.
Something would tickle my little girl
and she would giggle for hours after!

Now she's quite a young lady
a teenager full of life.
I love my beautiful daughter
even with the occasional strife!

So full of fun and hunour
she lightens everyone's heart,
The house is so quiet when she's away
each term we have to part.

She goes to school in the city
and stays with friends you see,
But although she is so far away
she means all the world to me.

She invented her own tradition
a thing she must always take,
When she goes back to school
her favourite chocolate cake!

This daughter I've been telling you of
has a special love of mine,
Of course you know her Oh, so well
it's my charming Caroline.

So hold your chin up sweetie
be happy, smile and shine,
I know I will be proud of you
Because, my lovely, you're mine.

Well there it is. Shared with the world. My special poem that my Mum wrote me when I missed her so much, but she was so far away. I cherish these words and read them often. So Mum you are in my thoughts always, today, tomorrow, next week, next year - always.

Jayden, who hardly knew you and Owen, who is named after you, they call you 'Nana on the Wall', 'Nana in heaven'. Zoe who named you 'Nana Geraldton'. You are loved and missed by them all.

To Eric, Mark and Jenni you three are also in my thoughts today (and always) we all miss Mum in our own way, we all had our own special moments and connections. Let's all have a glass of Baileys to salute, remember and cherish Our Mum. So (as I pick up my glass of Baileys)

"Cheers Mum, for everything you did for us as children, for all the love and lessons you have taught and for all the dear memories we hold in our hearts, we love you and miss you. Forever"

With Love, your 'Charming' Caroline
xxXxx

4 comments:

  1. It's beautiful Caroline, the tears started instantly! Thankyou. I also found some white carnations today, so they're next to a lit candle by Mums picture. I miss her so much and still wish I got to say goodbye. Every year is still so hard. I'm sure Mum's listening to Electric Dreams and smiling.
    love Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Caroline, what a beautiful tribute to your Mum. I saw your post on SOS yesterday and instantly bookmarked your blog, because I often visit and take a peek at your beautiful work. I just wanted to say thank-you for sharing, because you have reminded me not to take my beautiful mum for granted and just how special she is to me. Your tribute has brought tears to my eyes and touched me deeply. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tribute Caroline.
    How wonderful to have your mum's beautiful poem to cherish (a great poet and great taste in girl's names too!)
    Kind regards
    Caroline
    PS I'm very impressed that you were able to have music as well - that's just too clever!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Caroline

    What a lovely tribute to your mum. It makes me sad to think you lost your Mum so young and I can't imagine how that must be for you. This is such a lovely way to remember her and how lucky are you to have such a wonderful poem to cherish.

    Take care
    Lee-Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Visiting!
Please say Hi :-)